Monday, September 20, 2010

Today I met Frank . . .

I met a man named Frank today who was driving his mobility scooter on 646. It was raining so hard that the windshield wipers on high didn't seem to help with visibility. Just thinking of the number of cars that drove past him, makes me sick. How in the world do we ignore those of us who need our help? I'm not judging anyone, I just don't understand how we got here. Even I sometimes ignore those in need because I'm afraid that the situation isn't safe . . . I mean what if they're scammers? What if this . . . What if that . . . My daughter pointed out that we've always been this way - remember the story of the good samaritan? Back then you actually had to WALK past someone if you chose to ignore them. At least the people who ignored Frank had cars and they only had to look at him for a few seconds. Frank was visibly disabled from the waste down and he was wearing a tank top and shorts - no jacket, no hat, no umbrella . . . nothing at all to protect him from the elements. I did a u-turn and I asked Frank if there were anything I could do to help him. I'm 4'11" so unfortunately, lifting him into my vehicle wasn't an option for me. The fact that I couldn't have physically helped him didn't matter to Frank as he was firm in his decision to not leave his scooter. He did ask for a raincoat. I told him that I didn't have one, but I was just a few minutes away from home and I promised him that I would return, even if I could only find a trash bag! He smiled - so grateful for a raincoat. I can only imagine the pity party that would have been happening in my head if I were in his situation.

I went home and found him a rain proof jacket and a hat. When I returned, a worker from the City of League City stopped to help. He actually asked me what I thought we could do. All I knew to do was pray. I prayed that God would somehow help us. Frank and I were literally being drenched by the rain as we tried to dress him in the rain coat and hat. Almost before my prayer was finished, another worker pulled up and he knew Frank. Unfortunately, Frank's mind was not up to par and his intended destination didn't exist. He told me wild stories of how he has been saving every dime since the age of 14. He was on his way to withdraw his money from the "American bank" so that he could fly to Missouri to see his mother. Although many of his stories were clearly confused, he did notice that our behavior was out of the ordinary. He asked me if we were Christians and I told him that I was a Christian. The smile that came across his face was amazing. He said that even though his body keeps failing him, he believes that God isn't through with him yet. Eventually, we reached Frank's son - he called the police earlier to tell them that his father was missing. The three of us were able to lift Frank into one of the trucks. We assured Frank that his scooter would be safe in the back. Happy, content and peaceful, Frank said thank you and goodbye.

When I got back into my car, I burst into tears. I'm not exactly sure why. It felt so amazing to help another person. It felt great to work with strangers to solve a problem, but at the same time, my heart broke for Frank, for his loss of mobility and his loss of lucidity. I was; however, so happy that Frank had not lost touch with his Savior. He was such a happy man - all he asked for was a rain jacket, he was happy to have the use of his upper body and a scooter to get him from place to place. He was so humble as we helped him into the car, not a bit of pride or embarrassment. If only, I had such security in life.

Today I met Frank, and my life will forever be changed . . . I pray.

2 comments:

Kimberly said...

Your experience with Frank is a beautiful testamony of how our Christian faith should be put into action!!!

~Crystal~ said...

Thanks, Kimber =0)